What Is Proof of Legal Status

Opening a bank account. If you plan to open a bank account (checking account or savings deposits) with a U.S. financial institution, you will need to prove your legal status in the United States. When entering/leaving the country. If you plan to enter or leave the United States, you will need to prove your legal status. If you are unable to do so, you may be detained by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agents. In 1986, Congress passed the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA) to address the problem of people who immigrate illegally to the United States and are employed by U.S. employers. The IRCA requires all employers, regardless of the number of employees, to verify the identity of new employees and their eligibility for employment in the United States. You will need to prove your legal status when you are looking for a job, applying for a study or driver`s license, or submitting certain immigration applications. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials may also ask you at any time to provide proof of your legal status.

If you are a non-immigrant exchange visitor (J-1 visa holder), a valid DS-2019 form (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status) can be used to determine your legal status. Note that Form DS-2019 must also be accompanied by Form I-94 or Form I-94A. If you are a nonimmigrant, there are several documents that can be used to determine that you are a legal resident of the United States. Also known as the Green Card or Resident Alien Card, the permanent resident card if it proves a foreigner`s right to live and work permanently in the United States. A large number of foreigners with non-immigrant status may be entitled to a work permit document. The card, also known as a work permit, is proof of work permit for various types of visas and other statuses. Some common immigration statuses that are eligible for an EEAS include: adjustment of claimant status, DACA, TPS, asylum/refugee, and some F-1 students with special permission to work. U.S. citizens are allowed to live and work in the country indefinitely. If you are a citizen of the United States, the documents that can be used to prove your legal status depend on how you obtained your citizenship: the two new ones (issued after the 1. May 2017) as well as older versions of a green card can be used to determine your legal status. The new version of the Green Card contains your photo and therefore serves as a photo ID.

It also includes your name, date of birth, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) number, document expiration date, and a laser-engraved fingerprint. The I-94`s arrival and departure record, also known as Form I-94, confirms that a foreign visitor has legally entered (or been pardoned) in the United States. It also contains information on the visitor`s visa status and the length of stay allowed. Insurance. If you want to purchase health insurance in the United States, you must prove your legal status. This card contains your photo on the front and back, your legal name, USCIS number, EAD card number, date of birth, fingerprints, and document expiration date. Apply for a loan.

If you apply for any type of loan (for example. B, car, personal, student or mortgage loans), you will need to prove your legal status. To replace or renew a work authorization card, you can file Form I-765, Application for a Work Permit. You must still be eligible for a work permit in the eligibility category for which you are applying. If your status has expired, you may also need to submit forms to renew your status. But how do you prove your legal status? Below, we`ll break down several options that serve as proof of your legal status in the United States. A foreign passport can be used to determine your legal status in the United States. The passport must be valid and accompanied by an arrival/departure protocol (Form I-94). In addition, the passport must include a valid machine-readable immigrant visa (MRIV).

A valid passport card can be used instead of a foreign passport. Customs and Border Patrol officers (and in some cases, USCIS) issue nonimmigrants with arrival and exit documents (Form I-94 or Form I-94A). Arrival/departure registration shows your immigration status, the date your status was granted, and the expiration date of your status. Therefore, Form I-94 or Form I-94A can be used to determine your legal status in the United States. It is becoming increasingly important to have proof of your immigration status in the United States. Immigration papers, documents, or proof of your legal status are essential if you have contact with law enforcement or immigration officials. .